- About Us
The 2017 Walking Program was a benefit for the Wichita Police Department K-9 Unit. For a suggested $1 donation or by purchasing a $15 #loveWPDk9Unit T-shirt, walkers can bless the unit. No donation is necessary however - it will always be a free annual walking program.
Why the K-9 Unit?
We have the privilege of providing veterinary care for K-9 police dog, Nash. To show our LOVE for the K-9 Unit, we held a fundraiser 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday, April 22, 2017 at our animal hospital. About 300 people came out to support the Unit, and dozens more purchased #loveWPDk9Unit T-shirts before and after the event, raising nearly $7,000 for the K-9 unit.
We received so many requests for the super-soft #loveWPDk9Unit T-shirts that we added the benefit to our annual walking program.
What is the summer walking program?
Walk-My-Dog Program: Take a regular stroll around your neighborhood with your dog, then track your distance and win prizes and services in our Walk-My-Dog Program.
June 1 - July 31, annually.
Registration begins in May.
Walk together * log your miles * win prizes
The program is simple - walk your own dog(s) on your own schedule and on your own route to win prizes and services.
Studies show that folks who have a training partner are more likely to stay motivated and fit - and that is especially true if your training partner is a dog! Pull out the leash and the tail is wagging - how can you say no?
“A dog is one of the remaining reasons why some people can be persuaded to go for a walk.”
Who can participate?
* All ages
* Clients, non-clients
* Dog-owners, non-dog-owners
Ready, Set, Walk!
* Register each summer at Animal Hospital at Auburn Hills, 13303 W. Maple (135th & Maple), and pick up your mileage log.
* Walkers set their own distance goals. The minimum goal is one mile.
* There is no maximum. The 2017 distance winners walked 220 miles!
* Walkers can return their logs to pick up their prizes.
* Logs must be received by the first week in August to be eligible for prizes.
Track Your Distance
* Walkers can use any route, any time of day, as long as they are also walking with a dog.
* Walk your dog, a friend's dog or even with a group of friends walking a dog.
Meet Your Goal and Win!
* From Aug. 1 through the first week in August walkers may bring their mileage logs back to Animal Hospital at Auburn Hills for prizes.
* Walkers may only count the distance walked from June 1 to July 31.
* Multiple-dog households may use separate mileage logs for each dog and one-dog households can track mileage by the human(s).
* Every walker receives a prize pack.
* For every 20 miles walked, receive a free canine nail trim voucher ($19.20) at Animal Hospital at Auburn Hills.
* For every 75 miles walked, receive a free comprehensive canine exam ($47.55) at Animal Hospital at Auburn Hills.
Overall Mileage Winners
* Top distance walked in the following categories will be awarded additional prizes from area retailers such as Powell Jewelry, Papa Murphy's, Texas Roadhouse, Chick-Fil-A, Invisible Fence and more:
* Human: grade school (grade K-5), middle school (grade 6-8), high school (grade 9-12), adult (age 18-54), senior (age 55+).
* Canine: toy breed (1-10 pounds), small breed (11-25 pounds), medium breed (26-50 pounds), large breed (51-85 pounds), giant breed (86+ pounds).
2017 Walk-My-Dog Program mileage winners:
Overall Mileage Winner:
Christie D. with “Jazz” - 220 miles
Grade School Mileage Winner:
Simon S. with “Scotch” - 46 miles
Middle School Mileage Winner:
Hope S. with “Scotch” - 50 miles
High School Mileage Winner:
Lauren H. with “Magnum” - 182 miles
Adult Mileage Winner:
Erin K. with “Riggs” - 81.63 miles
Senior Mileage Winner:
Anita L. with “Max” and “Molly” - 92.4 miles
Toy Breed Mileage Winner:
“Chesney” with Nancy Z. - 161 miles
Small Breed Mileage Winner:
“Scotch” with Tom S. - 66 miles
Medium Breed Mileage Winner:
“Holly” with Michelle C. - 182.48 miles
Large Breed Mileage Winner:
“Blazer” with Frank A. - 56 miles
Giant Breed Mileage Winner:
“Romey” with Dave M. - 81 miles
2016 Walk-My-Dog Program winners
Overall Distance winner:
178.5 miles - Nancy Z. and 9-pound poodle mix “Chesney”
56 miles - Hope and Sam with “Scotch”
51 miles - Simon with “Scotch”
31.44 miles - Ella with “Sammy”
Adult (ages 18-54)
67.36 miles - Erin with Labrador Retriever puppy “Riggs”
Senior (age 55+)
95.1 miles - Vince with German Shepherd puppies “Max” and “Molly”
Toy breed (1-10-pounds)
55.5 miles - 6-pound Maltese mix “Lucy” with Nancy K.
Small breed (11-25 pounds)
68.5 miles - 13-pound Poodle mix “Scotch” with Cheryl
Medium breed (26-50 pounds)
95.1 - German Shepherd puppies “Max” and “Molly” with Anita
Large breed (51-86 pounds)
46.73 miles - 75-pound Husky-German Shepherd mix “Zeke” with Kim
Giant breed (86+ pounds)
46.73 miles - 97-pound Great Pyrenees-Anatolian Shepherd mix “Emma” with Kim
2015 Walk-My-Dog Program winners
Overall distance winner: Anita & Vince & “Sheela” – 147 miles
Toy breed winner: “Chesney” & Nancy – 110 miles
Adult winner: George & Nancy & “Pete” & “Lucy”– 66 miles
Grade School winners: Simon/Hope/Sam & “Scotch” – 61/46/47 miles
Small breed winner: “Scotch” & Thomas & Cheryl – 58 miles
Medium breed winner: “Sammy” & Ella – 38 miles
2014 Walk-My-Dog Program winners:
Overall distance winner: Michelle & "Holly" – 161.4 miles.
Pre-School winner: Dylan & “Cilla” – 14 miles
Grade School winner: Grace & “Hurly Bear” – 36 miles
Adult winner: Nancy & “Chesney” – 63 miles
Senior winner: Gene and Trish & “Dolly” – 38 miles
Toy breed winner: “Sugar” & family – 11 miles
Small breed winner: “Lexy” & Jessica – 34.5 miles
Medium breed winner: “Sammy” & Ella – 13 miles
Large breed winner: “Chewy” & Nikki – 29 miles
Giant breed winner: “Rocky” & Quentin – 24 miles
2013 Walk-My-Dog Program winners:
Overall distance winner: Michelle & "Holly" - 169 miles
2012 Walk-My-Dog Program winners:
2011 Walking Program winners:
Overall distance winner: Mary S. with German Shepherd, "Lexi" - 200 miles